5 Facts About Dirty Sock Syndrome
You come home after a long day of work, kick off your shoes, and crank your heater on. You exhale loudly, eagerly anticipating the warmth. You inhale again. What is that smell? You did the laundry yesterday. You take a whiff of the shoes you left near the front door. Not those either. Why does your home smell like dirty socks? It’s simple: you may have dirty sock syndrome! Here are five things you need to know about this smelly problem:
1. Dirty sock syndrome is not brand specific.
2. The issue is caused by mold and bacteria that has accumulated within your HVAC system. Now that it’s cooler outside and your heating system is getting used, the issue will be more prevalent.
3. Bacteria may have been present long before the HVAC system was installed.
4. Dirty sock syndrome is directly linked to poor indoor air quality, which can affect your family’s health.
5. Fortunately, dirty sock syndrome is relatively easy to get rid of. Scheduling regular preventive HVAC system maintenance with a reliable HVAC company will help boost indoor air quality and reduce the occurrence of the dirty sock smell.